Aspen Aspen Highlands Maroon Creek Woody Creek
A unique way to explore the backcountry during the winter, snowmobiling in Aspen Snowmass is fun for the whole family. Local guide companies offer snowmobile tours to scenic locations, including the Maroon Bells.
T Lazy 7 offers daily snowmobile trips to the Maroon Bells in the morning and afternoon. During the winter, the Maroon Bells Recreation Area attracts few visitors, which means you’ll have little to distract you from the incredible views of Maroon Lake and the two snow covered 14,000' Maroon Bells.
Western Adventures in Woody Creek offers snowmobile trips near Lenado and Larkspur Mountain. They offer shorter 2-hour trips and half-day trips.
Snowmobile tours in the backcountry in and around Aspen Snowmass is a unique way to experience the Colorado Rockies. Take a day off from the slopes to spend the day with the family zipping around on a snowmobile.
Outdoor Aspen Maroon Creek
Your Aspen Snowmass vacation isn’t complete unless you visit the Maroon Bells. The Maroon Bells are two 14,000 foot peaks located about 8 miles outside of downtown Aspen, CO. And, they’re the most photographed mountains in North America!
How to Get There
- Maroon Bells Bus ― Take the Maroon Bells Bus Tour with the Roaring Fork Transportation Authority (RFTA). During the drive to Maroon Lake, the bus driver points out marmots sunning themselves on rocks, avalanche chutes, and other interesting sights.
- Guided Bike Trip ― Another way to experience the Maroon Bells area is by guided bike trip. You get to tour the Maroon Bells, and then coast (literally) all the way back into Aspen.
- Snowmobile Tour ― Visit the Maroon Bells in winter by taking a snowmobile tour. With the road closed to vehicular traffic in the winter, snowmobiling is the quickest way to get to Maroon Lake!
3 Fun Things to Do When You’re There
- 1. Walk around Maroon Lake.
- 2. Learn more about the area on a hike to Crater Lake with a naturalist guide from the Aspen Center for Environmental Studies (ACES).
- 3. Have a picnic!