Outdoor Aspen Maroon Creek
Your Aspen Snowmass vacation isn’t complete unless you visit the Maroon Bells. The Maroon Bells are two 14,000 foot peaks located about 8 miles outside of downtown Aspen, CO. And, they’re the most photographed mountains in North America!
How to Get There
- Maroon Bells Bus ― Take the Maroon Bells Bus Tour with the Roaring Fork Transportation Authority (RFTA). During the drive to Maroon Lake, the bus driver points out marmots sunning themselves on rocks, avalanche chutes, and other interesting sights.
- Guided Bike Trip ― Another way to experience the Maroon Bells area is by guided bike trip. You get to tour the Maroon Bells, and then coast (literally) all the way back into Aspen.
- Snowmobile Tour ― Visit the Maroon Bells in winter by taking a snowmobile tour. With the road closed to vehicular traffic in the winter, snowmobiling is the quickest way to get to Maroon Lake!
3 Fun Things to Do When You’re There
- 1. Walk around Maroon Lake.
- 2. Learn more about the area on a hike to Crater Lake with a naturalist guide from the Aspen Center for Environmental Studies (ACES).
- 3. Have a picnic!